In early 2023, YETI issued a recall for 1.9 million yeti soft coolers and gear cases due to a hazardous magnet ingestion risk. The recall came after reports of children accidentally ingesting the magnets, which can cause serious health complications. In this article, we’ll dive into the details of the recall and explore the risks associated with magnet ingestion.
What is YETI®?
Before diving into the recall details, let’s briefly discuss what YETI® is. YETI® is a popular brand that specializes in high-quality outdoor gear, including coolers, tumblers, and accessories. Their products are known for their durability and ruggedness, making them a favorite among outdoor enthusiasts.
The Recall Details of YETI SOFT COOLERS AND GEAR CASES
In January 2023, YETI® issued a recall for 1.9 million YETI SOFT COOLERS AND GEAR CASES due to a hazardous magnet ingestion risk. The recall affects select products from YETI’s Hopper® BackFlip, Hopper® M30, Hopper® Flip, and Daytrip® product lines, all of which contain magnets that are used to keep the product’s lid closed.
The magnets in question can come loose and fall out of the product, creating a serious ingestion risk for children. If ingested, the magnets can attract each other through different parts of the digestive system, causing serious injuries such as perforations, blockages, or infections.
The recalled products were sold in the United States and Canada between October 2021 and January 2023. YETI® has advised consumers to immediately stop using the affected products and contact them for a free repair kit. They have also urged consumers to keep the recalled products away from children and to dispose of them properly.
Risks of Magnet Ingestion
The ingestion of magnets, particularly in children, is a serious health risk that can lead to life-threatening complications. When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can attract each other through different parts of the digestive system, causing serious injuries such as perforations, blockages, or infections.
If not detected and treated quickly, magnet ingestion can cause permanent damage or even be fatal. Symptoms of magnet ingestion include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. If you suspect that you or someone you know has ingested magnets, seek medical attention immediately.
What to Do if You Own a Recalled Product
If you own one of the recalled products, it is important to take action quickly to ensure the safety of yourself and those around you. First, stop using the product immediately and keep it away from children. Then, contact YETI® to request a free repair kit.
When disposing of the product, it is important to do so properly to avoid any further risks. YETI® recommends cutting the magnets out of the product before disposing of it to prevent them from posing a hazard to others.
The YETI recall of 1.9 million YETI SOFT COOLERS AND GEAR CASES due to a hazardous magnet ingestion risk highlights the importance of product safety and awareness. It is essential for consumers to take action quickly if they own one of the affected products to ensure their safety and the safety of those around them. Remember, if you suspect that you or someone you know has ingested magnets, seek medical attention immediately.
- What should I do if I suspect that my child has ingested magnets? If you suspect that your child has ingested magnets, seek medical attention immediately. Ingesting magnets can cause serious health complications and should be treated as.
- How can I tell if I own one of the recalled YETI® products? YETI® has provided a list of affected products on their website. If you own one of the products on the list, you should stop using it immediately and contact YETI® for a free repair kit.
- How can I dispose of the recalled product safely? YETI SOFT COOLERS AND GEAR CASES recommends cutting the magnets out of the product before disposing of it to prevent them from posing a hazard to others. You can then dispose of the product according to your local waste management guidelines.
- Can adults be affected by magnet ingestion? While magnet ingestion is more common in children, adults can also be affected. It is important to seek medical attention if you suspect that you or someone you know has ingested magnets.
- How can I prevent magnet ingestion in the future? To prevent magnet ingestion, keep magnets and magnetic products out of reach of children. If you have small children in your home, be sure to regularly inspect your belongings for loose or damaged magnets. Additionally, be sure to follow all safety instructions provided by the manufacturer of magnetic products.